The Lady De Waal Bridge
- 044 923 1702
- 083 420 5434
- Longitude: 24.347069
- Latitude: -33.322836
About The Lady De Waal Bridge
The Lady De Waal Bridge was built in 1911/12 and inaugurated in October 1913 by first administrator of the Union, Sir Frederick de Waal who named it after his wife, Lady De Waal.
During the 1916 floods the bridge was washed away.
Rebuilt, it was again washed away in the 1921 floods. This time the bridge was rebuilt nine feet higher as single lane steel-girder bridge.
When, in 1974, a new double carriage concrete bridge was constructed, residents requested the old bridge remain as part of the history of the town.