Sightseeing

  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    At one stage Willowmore at a thriving Jewish community and so the need for a Jewish Synagogue, built in 1980. The building is no longer in use, but can be viewed from the outside. The Jewish Graveyard is still beautifully...
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    The Lady De Waal Bridge was built in 1911/12 and inaugurated in October 1913 by first administrator of the Union, Sir Frederick de Waal who named it after his wife, Lady De Waal. During the 1916 floods the bridge was washed away....
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    The Historical Graveyard is not only part of Willowmore’s early history, but also houses the graves of residents who died due to two noble historic incidents – the Anglo – Boer war (1899 – 1902) and the Great Flu Epidemic...
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    Campbell Monument
    • Baviaanskloof
    The Campell Monument was erected by the farming community to commemorate the lives lost in the 1916 flood.
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    James Kobe Madlaila’s grave is the only grave outside the town cemetery. James Kobe Madlaila, constable and the Xhosa interpreter on staff of the Resident Magistrate of Steytlerville was shot by Schemers’ commando, at...
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    The War Monument
    • Steytlerville
    The War Monument built in 1925, pay homage to Steytlerville who died in the First and Second World Wars. They were CR Buckley, J Erasmus, N Gaisford, J Kunneke, A Pettit, J Ring, J de Wit, PF Ferreira, H Hooper, JY Nash and P...
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    Vensterklip
    • Baviaanskloof
    During the Anglo-Boer war of 1899-1902, a skirmish between police and a group of aspiring Boer rebels took place in the area of Vensterklip.
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    Family Crest Project
    • Steytlerville
    In 2003, in the main street, Flags were erected depicting the Family Crests of Steytlerville families and encompassing crest from all communities. Those families without traditional crest were encourage to design their own to...
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    Nuwekloofpas is a beautiful example of rock formations found in the Kloof, and is considered the official entrance into the Baviaanskloof from the west.
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    Sewefontein Wild Fig Tree Forest is a forest of old wild fig trees with hiking trail and shady picnic spots.
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    Kouga Dam
    • Surrounding Areas
    The dam is a double curvature arch dam 82 m high with a storage capacity of 128,7 million m3. Provision was made in the design to allow for a future raising of the water level by some 15,2 m. The construction of the wall marked...
    • Sightseeing
    • Dams
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    The NG KERK (9) (Dutch Reformed Church) was built in 1953 after a fire razed the original building in 1913. Currently it serves 95 members.
    • Sightseeing
    • 044 934 1009
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    Die Rooi Bruggie
    • Willowmore
    The iconic “Rooi Bruggie” was erected as a Pedestrian Bridge over the Noodsloot River and was used when the river was flood. The road was a drift/ford at the time
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    The Heroes Monument
    • Steytlerville
    The Heroes Monument honours those who died fighting for freedom during the apartheid years. Among those honoured are Mzwandile Veneress “Shakes” Miggels; Johannes “Pappie” Witbooi; “Thami” Khasibe.
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    Die Bron
    • Rietbron
    The farm, Kaalplaas, despite immense water scarcity, was declared an urban area in 1909. It was observed that a nearby reed-bush (known as “rietbos” in Afrikaans) produced a sustainable damp spot in the soil. Drawing on...
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    Die Wonderboom
    • Willowmore
    "Die Wonderboom" is a remarkable sight where two trees, namely the Ghwarrie tree (Eudea undulate) and a Shepherd’s Tree (Boscia oleolides, also called a Karoo witgat) grow side by side. What makes this “wonder tree” unique...
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    The Beervlei Dam was completed in 1957. It was built for the purpose of flood control on the Grootrivier, especially for the sake of the farming community in the Patensie area.
    • Sightseeing
    • Dams
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    The Seven Dwarfs
    • Baviaanskloof
    Look out for these interesting rock formations – The Seven Dwarfs along the road.
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    The Willow Limo
    • Willowmore
    Enjoy a relaxing donkey cart tour through the streets of Willowmore with The Willow Limo, to be found in the main street.
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    Bakers Dam
    • Willowmore
    Bakers Dam was built in 1960 to supply steam locomotives stopping in Willowmore with water. With the advent of diesel locomotives, the municipality took over the dam to serve as the town’s primary source of water at the time....
    • Sightseeing
    • Dams
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    The Old Blackstone Power Station, which supplied the town with power until 1984, is open to visitors. Willowmore first started generating its electricity in 1984, is open to visitors. Willowmore first started generating its...
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    The Valley Of The Flags is part of the R329, colourfully adorned with flags that have at some stage been national flags of South Africa. The flags were painted by a nearby farmer pre-1994 and update after South Africa receives...
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    There are many lovely There are many lovely Historical Buildings in town, quite a few dating back to the 19th century, including the Old Dutch Reformed Rectory, built in 1864; the Old Jail, built in 1896; St Matthews Church,...
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    The Cement Road
    • Willowmore
    Construction for the Cement Road between Willowmore and Steytlerville commenced in 1952 and was completed in 1954. At the time of building the road cement was more economical than bitumen, which had to be imported. The road is a...
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    A must-see in town is the beautiful restored old Boer graveyard with interesting graves dating back to the Anglo-Boer War. From here one can take a short hike to a small gunpowder chamber used during battle to store gunpowder and...
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    The first church to be established in the Baviaanskloof was the Dutch Reformed Church. It was rebuilt at Gannaland-se-kloof on Zandvlakte in 1918 after the previous church washed away at Kleinpoort in the 1916 flood.
    • Sightseeing
  • More InfoUpdated: 7 months ago
    The Dutch Reformed Church is the record-holding biggest Edwardian-style church in Southern African, seating 1200 members. The church was inaugurated in 1907. It features an organ consisting of 1046 pipes,. The site for St...
    • Sightseeing